Thursday, July 1, 2010

False sence of Freedom

Today I was thinking back on a conversation I had with a friend in college. I asked him when living the gospel would be easy? when I could just stop working so hard? etc. He responded, You can't ever stop, but you will find joy in it the more you do it. So it does get easier as you learn to enjoy the process.

This concept goes hand in hand with how I am feeling today about this journey I am embarking on. Thinking in the future... when will it be easy? when can I just sit back and relax? and the answer is probably never, but I will want the results and enjoy the process.

Thinking about the future it makes me a little sad that I can't just sit back with a bowl of caramel popcorn or eat as much yummy pound cake as I want. I feel a little like I am losing my freedom. Then I think about the law of chastity, and that you are not very free, when upholding that particular law, at least not free in the moment. But in the long run, you have so much more freedom and joy. So with moderation, I can still have pound cake every now an again, and who knows maybe it will end up adding up to more pound cake over my life time than I can eat now, because I won't die early of a heart-attack....

No comments:

Post a Comment